1. ADDICTIVE Peanut Butter Blossom Cookies
I usually make these cookies around Christmas time but my kids love them so much that we make them whenever anyone has a craving for them. When I was little I remember my Mom making these every holiday and I felt like such a big helper when I got to unwrap the chocolate kisses to top the cookies with. I may have snuck one or two of them in the process but hey, that was my payment for the hard work it took to unwrap the foil off of each individual piece.
Now that I have kids of my own I’m so grateful to get them in the kitchen helping me do what my Mom and I did together. My girls definitely enjoy participating and my son, well he enjoys the taste testing. He’s more interested in real food, meat and potatoes or chicken nuggets and fries My girls and I have a sweet tooth so we’re all about cookies!
Here’s the recipe I use, compliments of : browneyedbaker.com The only thing I don’t do in this recipe is roll the dough in sugar before baking, we don’t really care for the extra sugar on these.
- ¾ cup peanut butter
- ½ cup vegetable shortening
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Granulated sugar(for rolling)
- 48 Hershey’s kisses(unwrapped)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats or parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- With an electric mixer, beat the peanut butter and shortening on medium speed until well blended, about 2 minutes. Add the granulated sugar and brown sugar, and beat until fluffy. Add the egg, milk and vanilla extract, and beat well. Reduce the mixer speed to low and gradually beat the flour into peanut butter mixture until just combined.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls (about 1 tablespoon or dough or a small cookie scoop) and roll in granulated sugar to coat. Place on the prepared baking sheets about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until lightly browned. Remove from the oven and immediately press a chocolate kiss into the center of each cookie (the cookie will crack around edges). Allow to cool for about 5 minutes, then remove the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely. The cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.