I got home from work yesterday and really wanted something sweet. I didn’t feel like heading to the store for the 4th time this week just to gather some ingredients. Luckily, I found a simple recipe that called for ingredients that I already had on hand and just for the record, nobody in my household has any type of food allergy but this one just happens to be free of eggs, milk and butter but still tastes really good. My oldest decided to help this time which was a nice surprise but anytime I make any sweet treat, she’s usually the first to volunteer so she gets dibs on licking the bowl.
Here’s the recipe, credit goes to: sweetlittlebluebird.com
Chocolate Cupcake Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups flour (all-purpose)
- 3 tablespoons cocoa (unsweetened)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda (fresh)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 5 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a standard size muffin tin with cupcake liners. *You may want to lightly spray top of muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray to prevent sticking.In a large bowl mix all of the dry ingredients (flour, cocoa, sugar, baking soda and salt), mix well.
- Next, make 3 depressions in dry ingredients – two small, one larger. Pour vinegar in one depression, vanilla in the other and the vegetable oil in third larger depression. Pour water over all. Mix well until smooth.
- Fill each cupcake liner 3/4 full with batter. Place on middle rack of oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Be sure to check cupcakes with a toothpick in the center to make sure it comes out clean.
- Each oven bakes at different rates, adjust baking times accordingly.
- When ready, remove from oven, allow to cool for a minute or two then remove from tin and place on cooling rack.
- When cooled, top with your favorite frosting or dust with powdered sugar. Enjoy! Recipe makes 12 standard size cupcakes.
Personally I would have liked these with just a dusting of powdered sugar but my kids insist on frosting! So I also had to search for a frosting recipe that didn’t have too many ingredients and I found this one, compliments of chocolatemoosey.com The nice thing about this recipe is that it’s for a small batch so it worked out perfectly and tasted so good!